Emmanuel Lutheran Church is an independent confessional Lutheran congregation, firmly committed to upholding the truth of the Holy Scriptures as confessed in the Lutheran Book of Concord of 1580.
We believe that the Bible is God’s revelation of himself to the world, given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, and is therefore free from errors and mistakes. These Holy Scriptures reveal all we need to know and believe about God to be saved.
Christians in every age have found it necessary to explain what they mean when they say, “We believe what the Bible says,” because many false teachings about God have arisen. We describe ourselves as “Confessional Lutherans,” which means that we still fully subscribe to the Lutheran Confessions, as contained in the Book of Concord of 1580, because they accurately express the truth of Scripture.
These are the individual Confessions contained in the Lutheran Book of Concord:
- The Apostles Creed
- The Nicene Creed
- The Athanasian Creed
- The Augsburg Confession (unaltered)
- The Apology (Defense) of the Augsburg Confession
- The Smalcald Articles
- Of the Power and Primacy of the Pope
- Luther’s Small Catechism
- Luther’s Large Catechism
- The Formula of Concord
The best way for us to explain our beliefs is in a Bible study setting where you can sit down with our pastor, open up the Bible and see the basis for our teachings. Here is a brief summary of what we believe, teach and confess:
- That there is only one God, the God of the Bible, who exists eternally as Three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- That God created the universe in six natural days
- That the devil, created as a good angel, chose to rebel against God
- That the first human beings, also created good, were tempted by the devil to join in his rebellion against God, and that they willingly chose to follow the devil
- That all people are, therefore, conceived and born with a thoroughly corrupted, sinful nature, dead in sin and objects of God’s wrath
- That, in his indescribable love, God promised to send a Savior, his Only-begotten Son, to rescue fallen mankind
- Who was born as our human brother so that he could be our Substitute
- Who lived the perfect life of love we have failed to live
- Who suffered for our sins and died the death we deserved to die
- Who truly rose from the dead and freely offers forgiveness and eternal life to all who trust in him as their Substitute
- That this trust or “faith” comes, not by our decision or effort, but only by hearing the Gospel – the Word of Christ through which the Holy Spirit raises spiritually dead sinners to new spiritual life
- That the Holy Spirit only creates and strengthens faith through the Means of Grace – the Gospel in Word and Sacrament (Holy Baptism and Holy Communion)
We would love to share more of our beliefs with you. For more information, please contact our pastor. An introductory study on the teachings of Scripture and the Lutheran Church is offered throughout the year to those who wish to learn, to review, or to explore the possibility of membership in our church.
You may also read more about what we believe by following this link to the Book of Concord: